Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sara Zarr: Sweethearts

Excellent book. All about the performance that is adolescence and after, how we create stories about ourselves and personas that suit what we want to be. The heroine's artificial persona cracks in the very best way.

Things I loved: the horrible, abusive dad, the distant mom, the wonderful step-dad. I was just thinking that the parents in YA are far too patient and kind and relaxed about things, which of course says more about my childhood than it does about YA. But then we got Cameron's dad, whose type of emotional and physical abuse is far too familiar. Zarr captures that pervasive fear perfectly, the fear that stays with you forever because what should make sense in the world doesn't fit any sensible pattern. People will be suddenly vicious and cruel with no warning and everyone will pretend that they aren't.

In other words, Zarr did a fantastic job recreating that helpless cautious childhood fear, but also perfectly recreated the bond between two kids. And I loved the way the two interacted. I loved the way Zarr kept allowing little bubbles of memory to pop and add to the story.

Alan has to be one of my favorite characters in all of fiction. What a good and whole person he is! Noisy knees, patience, understanding, and the ability to listen. And I adore that he's the one who saves Cameron by showing him what a dad is supposed to be like.

I guess you know you're too old for YA when you fall for the step-dad, huh? It's like when I was all hearts in the eyes for Giles on Buffy, paying no attention to all those young whippersnappers. Or I suppose I could still be looking for someone in that category who doesn't inspire terror, come to think of it.

Looking forward to reading every word Sara Zarr has ever written, over and over and over. I'm so glad I randomly went to the Z area of the YA section in the library last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment