Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Carrie Jones: Need

** spoiler alert ** This was a good teen romance/thriller, with a heroine who hit a good balance between miserable and relatable. The writing about Maine is fantastic. As it happens, I moved to Maine from L.A. right after losing my father (and boy was I miserable) so this book resonated quite a lot.

The place it lost me is a crazy one. I'll swallow any amount of supernatural whatnot without a hiccup, but the author doesn't know what a railroad tie is. And railroad ties feature prominently in the resolution. A railroad tie is that heavy wooden beam under the tracks. I can't even figure out what she thinks she's talking about when she's talking about railroad ties, since she thinks they're a) metal and b) light enough for one person to move. They're neither. Does she mean tracks? A section of track would weigh hundreds of pounds.

How did nobody catch this? No friend, no editor? It would take two seconds of Googling to figure this out.

Well, then in the book people also rammed them into the ground by hand with no tools in the winter in Maine. Why not use rebar? Or hello, fence posts? Those green metal fence posts.

Yeah, I have no problem with an EMT who's a weretiger but getting railroad ties wrong really threw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment