Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gabrielle Zevin: Elsewhere

Good insights into that teenage death thing that I never understood. I loved all the dogs and Liz's relationships with them, loved the relationship with her grandma, disappointed in how scanty the friendship with Thandi was. Deeply hated the boy she liked but that's okay.

Overall it was a clever, insightful read on life and death. I can't even explain why I didn't love it but only really liked it. I think it was because the main character felt superficial, not like we only saw the surface of a more complex person, but like there wasn't actually anything behind the curtain.

Very favorite things: her interactions with dogs, the rock star, and Amadou Bonamy. It makes me long for another whole book about a teenage girl hating the person who put her where she is and figuring out how to forgive that person for her own good.

That's often the cause of the missing fifth star, the book that doesn't exist that the book I'm reading could have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment