Thursday, August 22, 2024

14 Conjunctions, Consequences, Murderbot

In case anyone wondered whether I have ADHD, yes! This episode proves it, if there had ever been any doubt. Also I'd had five short nights of sleep in a row AND was having an asthma attack, which makes me panic and fear for my life what with how it can actually kill you. But no, I sat there quietly recording and then today edited out all the horrible wheezy inhalations.

Jeebus.

However! It's about great things! That terrible comma plus and construction that I hate so much! See this post for much more, in a much more articulate format.  

It's also about the Murderbot books. I ADORE Murderbot. Just writing that makes me want to go read them. So good! Murderbot!

It's mostly about connecting both grammatical thoughts and story ideas in a logical way that shows consequences, more so than just A + B + C. 

We need both, this is what I'm saying.

Take that nightmarishly awful but beautifully written novel I wrote about a while back. Gorgeous sentences that added up to nothing because the plot was atrocious and the character something you scraped off your shoe. 

We need to write well on all levels. Sentence level, character level, story level. All of it has to work.

I also get into that lovely duality of Murderbot, who thinks it's the worst (hence calling itself that) but will do anything to take care of its people, or even random strangers. Murderbot thinks it doesn't care about anyone but cares about everyone. I love that. I love it so much.

So enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.